[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Jun 5 17:07:16 CEST 2001

Andrew Reisse writes:

> While 30 minutes isn't that long, consider what would happen if
> you increased the wait to 12 or 24 hours or m= ore:

>   People wouldn't want to die a lot, especially if they like
>   playing the game, same as in exp loss systems.

>   People might not get frustrated in having to advance from level
>   36 to 37 again, definitely not the same as in exp loss
>   systems. With many games, recovering from a death can take many
>   hours, all of which are unpleasant and tedious for the player.

> Note that under this system, it would probably be advantageous to
> change the typical "mobs always fight to the death" routine into
> something where PCs could be just seriously injured, and then they
> can wait for regeneration or assistance, but the mob doesn't kill
> them if they just lay there (althou= gh it might rob them or
> something) This wouldn't have to apply to all mobs of course, just
> the more common/weaker ones.=20

> It might "feel" more like death, since they can't play the game
> for a day or so, but then they could continue without any more
> penalties. The time out f= or death could depend on the
> seriousness of the death or the reason for fighti= ng.

I happen to agree with this approach for the reasons that you list.
I don't believe it would work for many games out there where players
feel compelled to be always in the game, advancing.  Especially
games where getting behind in advancement impacts your ability to
socialize or otherwise enjoy the game as you would like to.  In
other words, a time penalty doesn't work well in games where volumes
of time are critical to enjoying the game.

JB