[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

shren shren at io.com
Tue Jun 5 17:32:50 CEST 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Trump wrote:

> So, instead of saying what *I* would do.  Let me ask what *you*
> would do to make your RPG more of an RPG and not just an Adventure
> game?

Change scope.

Right now, RPG games are written for, generally, one person or a mud
sized crowd.  There are games for small groups, but they tend to be
deathmatch-style hacks over top of single-player style play.  The
format where the RPG hobby emerged was the 3-6 people around a
table, and that's where you could start to get back to the RPG feel.

Perhaps, take a mud engine and try to make it more like interactive
fiction, then make real roles and npcs to interact with.  Perhaps
put the PCs at cross purposes.  Make an engine where you build
scenarios instead of worlds.