[MUD-Dev] Re: Hiding the Numbers/avatar representation

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Jun 5 22:12:21 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vincent Archer" <archer at nevrax.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 5:02 AM
Subject: Re: Hiding the Numbers (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.)

> The point is not about numbers or similar things. The point is
> about perception. Despite the progress, and the rise of the 3D
> rich graphical environments, the perception we have of the game
> world is very sense poor. Even the best 3D engines scheduled for
> the upcoming games (SWG notably) do not convey all the information
> you get from normal, everyday vision, let alone compensate for all
> the other cues (smell, kinesthesic) from the environment.

> Thus, we do need a way to convey feedback to the player. And we
> need a way that is fast and reliable. Mostly reliable: the player
> has nothing but that cue to tell him how he's doing.

Out of curiousity, is anyone making a graphical game where the
avatar representation is modified by the physical attributes? Thus a
stronger <race> looks more muscular than an erudite <race>. Assuming
its not under NDA :)

This would drive directly into vision, as schemas and stereotypes
are shortcuts our brain uses, and are correct most of the time :)

    rayzam