[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Trump trump at vividvideo.com
Wed Jun 6 12:14:33 CEST 2001

Marc Fielding wrote:

> I'm having a little trouble associating not "trying to force
> everyone into playing nice or following the Master Plan" with your
> initial suggestions for a rigidly controlled RP experience in
> MMORPGs. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're getting
> at. Could you explain it a bit more?

I guess the best way to say it is, the staff must play nice and
follow the master plan.  The players are invited to join.  Those who
do not wish to are allowed to go off and do what they want.

You see, for every in character comment I've seen from an employee
I've seen dozens of ooc comments.  Test servers are notorious for
GMs randomly murdering players, even in games where PvP is not
allowed.  I dont think thats the right way to approach things.

I've gone to Renfairs twice in my life I think of them as an example
of doing things right.  Everyone who works there is in costume, they
are all talking funny and stuff.  If you want to go in costume and
roleplay with them they gladly accept it.  There are places all over
to rent or buy costumes.  If you do not, you are not excluded, you
can still see all the shows, play all the games and they will still
talk to you.  But after a while you find yourself wanting to dress
up, because you can see how much fun they are having with it and it
looks appealing.