[MUD-Dev] off-line pk

Richard Aihoshi aka Jonric jonric at vaultnetwork.com
Wed Jun 6 12:25:56 CEST 2001

At 09:26 PM 05/06/01 -0700, Raph Koster wrote:

> [...]

Without discounting what it does in any way, the IDSA's fundamental
purpose, as clearly stated on its website (www.idsa.com), is to
represent the business interests of publishers.

> About The Interactive Digital Software Association

> The Interactive Digital Software Association (IDSA) is the
> U.S. association exclusively dedicated to serving the business and
> public affairs needs of companies that publish video and computer
> games for video game consoles, personal computers, and the
> Internet. IDSA members collectively account for more than 90
> percent of the $6.0 billion in entertainment software sold in the
> U.S. in 2000, and billions more in export sales of U.S.-made
> entertainment software.

> The IDSA offers services to interactive entertainment software
> publishers including a global anti-piracy program, owning the
> Electronic Entertainment Expo trade show, business and consumer
> research, government relations and First Amendment and
> intellectual property protection efforts.

It's more accurate to say the International Game Developers
Association (www.igda.org) is the organization that represents
developers.  There is some overlap in areas of interest, but the
IGDA is definitely much more focused on topics that are relevant to
developers.  It also has a board of directors consisting of
developers; while I didn't see a list, it seems pretty likely that
the members' representatives to IDSA are corporate types.  However,
the IGDA doesn't yet have the funding or the visibility of the IDSA,
the main reason probably being that not enough developers join.

Cheers.