[MUD-Dev] Why are we all making RPGs?

Sellers Sellers
Wed Jun 6 16:42:59 CEST 2001

Jeff Freeman wrote:

> That's definitely possible, assuming what they are bringing to the
> internet is itself innovative.  If it's just a single player game
> with thousands of concurrent players then, well, we already have
> that. :/

> The "community building game", which cannot be played offline or
> single-player at all.

> Sims Online might be just that, depending on how much it focuses
> on building communities versus teaching virtual people not to poop
> in the kitchen.

The Sims Online is essentially what Andrew (hey Andrew) was talking
about: a talented team of single-player developers have turned their
sights on making an MMPOG (salted with a few people with online
experience).  The first thing this brings up is the enormous
difference between making a boxed game and an online game, but
that's a different topic.

TSO is definitely about building communities - houses, businesses,
neighborhoods, etc..  The whole peeing-on-the-floor thing is almost
entirely gone, as the emphasis is on interactions with others,
interactions with objects, and combinations of those.  The one
really big difference between TSO and any other MMPOG is there
aren't any monsters to fight; you can level up in a way, but mostly
the game just isn't played that way.

If it's successful (it ain't done yet!), it'll probably be the first
of the really big 2nd generation MMPOGs that employ gameplay
dynamics that go far beyond kill-monster-get-gold.

Mike Sellers
TS2/TSO/'n'otherstuffIcan'ttalkabout...