[MUD-Dev] off-line pk

Kroh Kroh
Wed Jun 6 16:49:30 CEST 2001

On Wed 6/6/2001 9:34 AM Jeremy Noetzelman wrote:

> Indeed ... When I was still adminning on Duris, we routinely had
> to deal with people stealing their roommates characters because of
> some RL slight, or former best friends getting mad at eachother
> and deleting eachothers characters.  Great fun, I tell you.

Many years back I ran into an interesting off-line pk situation.  A
local BBS had an intense game of Tele-Arena going, and on Saturdays
the community would all gather at a local bar.  It was amazing how
much the game extended itself into this RL setting, almost as if
everyone felt more comfortable maintaining that fiction outside the
game rather than going back to who they really were.  No one went by
their real names; you were known by your in-game handle.  And "who
you were" in the game dictated your status and popularity at the
bar.  When I first started playing and attending the weekly
gatherings, I was ignored.  After several months of hard playing and
building myself into a respected PK that hunted primarily other PKs
that preyed on newbies, I had people buying me drinks, schmoozing,
and even offering sex in exchange for in-game favors.  I was shocked
out of the whole fantasy when one of the guys I hunted in the game
showed up at the bar with a gun and drew it on me.