[MUD-Dev] Buying benefits

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 6 18:10:27 CEST 2001

Matt Chatterley wrote:

> Heh. Back when I used lockers (circa '94), the game servers just
> weren't sophisticated enough to carry objects through a reboot
> (players were saved to their datafile, disconnected and then had
> to log back into a fresh world, with all NPCs re-spawned, etc,
> everything except saved data gone, and only a bare minimum of data
> saved). Noone cared, because all games were pretty much like that
> - totally non-persistant. A lot of LPMuds still are, its almost a
> legacy thing now, part of the game. :)

But there were servers that did persistence just fine way back
then. :)

MOO was going strong then, coldmud was just getting off the ground.
I think coolmud had been released by then, and the uber/untermud
code was already 4-5 years old.  Mush and I suspect (the majority?
of) the tinymud family persisted object state as well.

Once you get into persistence though, there are various levels.  MOO
persists everything, including the current task queue.  Cold
doesn't, leaving that to the DB.  I don't know the details for the
other servers.

But, they were definitely around and doing this in 1994.

  - Bruce