[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Freeman Freeman
Thu Jun 7 07:44:48 CEST 2001

> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

> I agree with Chris. Using your meaning, permadeath means
> nothing. What is a character for instance? If my long-time
> character Bob dies and the game forces a name change to Bill, is
> that a new character? What if it also changes his location in the
> database? Is that permadeath? If so, then the word as you are
> using it is pretty meaningless and you may as well just call it
> suffering a namechange.

Loss of stats, skills, attributes and all other statistics that are
associated with that character.  Whatever it is that defines a
character, then. If "name" is all that defines a character, then Ok,
permadeath is just a name change.

It wasn't uncommon in D&D games to die and then *not* start over
with a new character at 1st level (because if everyone else was 8th
level then we wouldn't have been able to play with them).  But it
never occurred to any of us that our previous character hadn't in
fact died, since in essence we were carrying xp over from the dead
guy to the new guy.

Strikes me as being a purely semantic argument at this point.  Ok,
using that narrow definition of permadeath, I'd tend to agree that
it's a bad idea which would probably never work.  It also seems to
me there's a decent middle-ground in there somewhere that's more
like permadeath than not.  Whatever you want to call it (unless you
want to call it "temporary permadeath" - that is right out).