[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Thu Jun 7 09:04:06 CEST 2001

rayzam wrote on Wednesday, June 06 2001, 19:13:56:
> From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>

>> And as for seeing things that you shouldn't be able to see,
>> that's just a matter of applying some rendering code.  Figure out
>> what the character perceptions should be delivering to the
>> character - and thus, to the player - and render as appropriate.
>> Draw the area beyond the character's peripheral vision in grey
>> and put in grey lumps to indicate sound-generating objects.  In
>> the peripheral vision, use lower level of detail objects and/or
>> leave out color information.

> Unfair and unreal. Yes, your vision degrades in the periphery,
> with lower acuity, loss of color information, etc. However, this
> implies one thing, that you keep your eyes *still*.

If I remember my biology classes correctly, the situation is even a
bit more complex: what the peripheral areas of ones vision lack in
accuracy and detail, they make up for in sensitivity to light and
movement. So while the knight off to the left of you might register
only as gray blob in your vision, you will still notice when he's
drawing his sword.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
PGP Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/pgp-lars.asc