[MUD-Dev] Security in MUDs - MMORPGs

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 10:25:19 CEST 2001

A question from yesterday's Computer Science undergrad finals @
Cambridge, UK:

  "You are developing a multi-user computer game, and wish to make
  it harder for players to cheat.

    (a) Discuss the possible benefits of using:

      (i) encryption/authentication
      (ii) virus detection techniques
      (iii) intrusion detection techniques

    (b) What might be the advantages and disadvantages of issuing
    players with a smartcard and reader?"

Although I was tempted to answer with "The benefits are: not much,
really - you can't trust the client at all", I wasn't prepared to
fail because of a flippant answer :). Sadly, we can't discuss the
relevance/well-foundedness of the question with the resident
professor of Security, because he's also the chief examiner this
year, which effectively censors him.

Still, I thought some people might be interested to see the
question. Food for thought? Perhaps.

Adam M