The Permadeath of PvP (was RE: Hiding the Numbers (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.)

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Thu Jun 7 13:22:37 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From:Matt Mihaly
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 12:48 AM
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: Re: The Permadeath of PvP (was RE: Hiding the Numbers (was Re:
[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.)

> Interestingly, I also agree, despite running an extremely heavy
> PvP game. I'm very aware I'm targetting a niche within a niche.

You comfortably inhabit your niche.  PvP players have dozens of
online choices from squad-level games like Tribes and Rogue Spear to
the PvP aspects in varying forms of the big three persistent worlds,
and those on the way.  We certainly haven't seen the game industry
eating its young like this before have we?  Or have we?  RTS after
Warcraft and Command & Conquer?  RPGs before Diablo revived them.
How are war games doing these days?  Adventure games... sheesh, talk
about permadeath...

Lee