[MUD-Dev] Player control of NPCs

Sanvean sanvean at ginka.armageddon.org
Thu Jun 7 18:36:40 CEST 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Mordengaard wrote:

> I'm considering implementing a system whereby players with
> sufficient rank/position can be put in charge of NPCs or groups of
> NPCs, giving them orders either via direct commands (says, tells,
> that kind of thing) or through other NPCs (runners, buglers etc).
> This would allow me to have sheriffs who can set up the patrols of
> his deputies and watchmen, generals with control over whole armies
> of men, necromancers with hordes of undead, etc.  Does anyone,
> either through experience or imagination, have any advice for me,
> or know of any pitfalls that I should avoid?

We've had great luck with this, and implemented it in the form of a
program that can get put on the NPCs to allow them to be
controllable.  The program lists the possible commands, so they
can't be commanded to do everything, which I'm not sure is the
approach I'd take the second time around, but should you choose this
approach, I'd suggest having a way the players can get a list of the
commands, such as ask guard help, in order to have them recite the
list.

Sanvean
Armageddon MUD.  Roleplay required.
http://www.armageddon.org