[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 7 21:04:27 CEST 2001

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> [...]

Well, personally, I'm strongly pro-roleplaying, but I hate people
attempting to use "Old English" as well.  First off, in most games
it makes no sense at all, since the language used in the game world
is not supposed to be English anyways.  Second, a pseudo-Old English
might make sense for something that's supposed to be archaic speech
-- but the language the PCs speak normally is not an archaic form of
speech for *them*.  To them, it's modern.

> Before anyone flames me, its just my opinion and just serves to
> show that there are people into this genre that have a different
> perspective on role play. Personally I have no problem role
> playing the mighty wizard, I just don't see any value in adopting
> a contrived vocabulary.

Same here.  The only reason I can see for it is to indicate that
your character speaks an archaic form of the language that's in
common use in the game... but that's not what most of the people
using it are trying to do.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>