[MUD-Dev] Buying benefits

Peter Tyson peter_tyson at softhome.net
Thu Jun 7 22:25:35 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaley:

> I'd disagree with this. CCGs are selling you the ability to
> compete more effectively against your opponents, flat-out. The
> more money you spend, the better your chances are.

While if the system was set up poorly this would be an issue, it
doesn't have to be.

Using the CCG example, I know plenty of good Magic players who will
beat you with a selection of basic cards easily available, and
plenty who couldn't beat you with a bucket full of Mox's :)

In the CCG world it seems you get three types of people, collectors,
competitors and a blend of the two. Collectors will buy everything
and anything simply because. Competitors only get what they need to
win and do so buy trading or using the basic tools provided. The
blended CCG gamer switches between buying and competing, but neither
feels the need to own every single card, nor is competitive enough
to design a deck to win off everyone else discards (I've seen it
done, scary!).

This could easily be the same in an online game. There's no need to
sell 'ub3r' equipment. Just unusual or rare items. I am sure people
in UO, for example, would happily pay a few dollars for nice new
furniture for their houses, or a special item of clothing or a red
colored sword, or any manner of things.

For small developers I think this is a great way to top up monthly
revenues (if there are even monthly revenues!). The impact on the
game is small, and could be argued keeps things interesting since
there is a ready flow of new, interesting content, the development
of which is being paid for up-front (unlike a game add-on which
takes a few months of development and expense as well as a
publishing deal before costs can be recovered).

Furthermore, aren't expansion packs like the many EQ ones providing
the purchasers the ability to compete more effectively? There's
access to spawns and quests no other player gets unless they buy the
expansion..

Peter Tyson