[MUD-Dev] Neverwinter Nights

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Jun 8 13:57:31 CEST 2001

One thing that struct me on reading your post relates to
Mario64. Mario 64 is widely regarded as one of the better attempts,
but when you think about the environment, its all massively wide
open spaces - even when indoors.  That doesn't really sit well with
the cramped corridors so many games favour. To do third person well
with less forgiving/compromised geometry almost demands shoulder cam
(which may as well be first person), or precomputed camera
tracks/hints/etc... Personally I'd rather have one system that works
well, than a hacked mess of trying to support everything. In the
end, first person is the easiest, and to me, the most immersive.

If you look at games like AC, and possibly AO if they don't get
their act together, they do/will alienate a lot of their players
simply through poor interface choices. Not being able to chat whilst
running is just an insane design choice which is the case in AC if I
recall correctly (no autorun I believe).

I just find it sad that people always seem to cut corners on the
controls.  They often seem to be unevolved from what the developers
semi-randomly picked from their very first test-harnesses. Sadly,
its one of those things thats harder to adjust once the game goes
live.

Dan