[MUD-Dev] Why are we all making RPGs?

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Fri Jun 8 15:01:22 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Travis Casey
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 4:30 PM
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Why are we all making RPGs?

> RPG is a genre, even in this sense.  "Genre" is simply a fancy
> word for "kind" or "type" -- it doesn't have to be restricted to
> the "literary genres", and you can have multiple, non-overlapping
> groups of genres.

They're not simply literary genres, nor can genre be defined in this
context as a dictionary might.  Genres are established in film,
television and plays as well as books and short stories.  The word
specifically refers to a "type of story."  Now, we can take a NIH
attitude, and say the word in this context can be substituted for
any "kind" or "type."  But doesn't it uncessarily obsfucate things?
In most of the entertainment industry, and I'd hope here as well:
Baseball is a sport.  Sport is a genre for stories.  Comedy is a
genre.  Standup is a type.

Lee