[MUD-Dev] Summary of PvP attempts?

Neil Brown neil_1_brown at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 06:15:25 CEST 2001

--- Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:

> This is the #1 reason why I have little interest in playing any
> MUD that isn't based on PvP. It's also the #1 reason why PvP games
> won't be as big. The average person is average not because of some
> conspiracy to keep him down, but because his abilities and
> knowledge are average. No one wants to be average.

Those statements make it sound like you're trying to draw a
correlation between people who don't want to play PvP and people
with a substandard intellect.  I think it's a big mistake to assume
that this is the case.  I don't enjoy playing PvP games - it's just
not my style - and not to toot my own horn, but I also don't believe
that I am intellectually challenged ( though, I suppose the argument
can be made that most morons don't think they're morons either ;).
In my non-PvP EQ adventures, I've met plenty of interesting, witty
and apparently bright people.  In my brief trips to the EQ PvP
servers, I've met plenty of dumbasses.  There's definitely something
different between people who play PvP and people who prefer not to,
but I don't think it's intellectual capacity or skill level.

Since I don't play PvP games much, I wonder if someone could comment
on the grief player percentage on PvP servers vs non-PvP?  Are
people more likely to be jerks on a PvP server because they can
cause more harm, or are they less likely because there's the real
threat of player retribution?

-o-
Neil