[MUD-Dev] Aetolia

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Jun 12 05:31:09 CEST 2001

I'm pleased to announce that Achaea LLC is going to be opening a
second version of Achaea. This in itself is hardly interesting news
as the shard model is well-established. The difference, however, is
that we're going to develop them on divergent paths, so as time goes
on, the two worlds will become more and more different. We've hired
Josh Olson, who built Everquest's guide system, and was a partner in
The Sapience Group, to run Aetolia as an entrepreneurial undertaking
under the banner and ultimate control of Achaea LLC. An October 2001
launch is planned.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any commercial worlds that have
cloned themselves and then done divergent development. I'd love to
check them out and see what went wrong and what went right. Thanks in
advance to anyone who can point me towards such a world.

--matt

PS. I posted on this once before, but in case anyone was wondering
"Where the hell does that guy come up with those ridiculous names?"
I'll just summarize. The very very brief story is that the Achaeans
were a name for the collective Greeks that fought at Troy, in
Homeric times. 800 years later, there was an Achaean League,
composed of most of the Hellenic city-states, aside from Sparta and
one other whose name escapes me at the moment. The Achaean League
was eventually defeated by the combined might of the Aetolian League
and Sparta and Elis during the "social" war against the Achaean
League and Macedon.