[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Jun 12 09:35:29 CEST 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Matt Chatterley wrote:
>> From: "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at verant.com>
>>> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

>>> Not at all. Permadeath, to me, is simply a complete break
>>> between one character and another.

>> If you count the players possessions as part of their character
>> then there's no *way*, either.

> Hmm. The more comments I read on PermaDeath (henceforth PD!), the
> more I think that its a concept which fits only games with very
> strong emphasis on roleplay. In such games, the concept of
> "Character" is much more strongly defined, and hence, the death of
> said "Character" is far more than the loss of some stats and the
> necessity to pass over a bunch of equipment.

Yes, I'm starting to feel the same way. I'm not sure permadeath is
anything more than a meaningless marketing term unless it's a very
strongly roleplayed game. In most of the games I've tried that
claimed to have permadeath, someone's new character acted just like
the old one. Really, it was the old one, as a character is an idea
that isn't represented in stats and equipment and database entries.

--matt