[MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

Wes Connell wconnell at skotos.net
Tue Jun 12 20:58:13 CEST 2001

Matt Chatterley (mpchatty at hotmail.com) wrote:

> A player wizard would take a bunch of reagents, some time, a bit
> of thought and imagination, and create a sequence of events and
> effects, which cumulate to the spell that he wants.

> He can then write this spell down (either as a one-shot scroll, or
> in a spellbook). In short, all spells in the game would be created
> by players, using provided tools - some wizards would be the
> 'programmers' of magic. In fact, programming is probably quite a
> good analogy. The tool I intend to provide will most likely use a
> simple form of pseudocode.

I've had a similar idea in the past. A mage would mix sulphuric ash,
brown dirt, and cotton creating a fireball. Replace the dirt with
crushed bone and the mage creates a wall of fire.

The one problem I ran into while thinking about it was that players
would quickly discover the best combinations for the good spells and
use only those. Those combinations will likely wind up on a web
page.

You could have different types of mana that produce different
effects from the components. A red mage would get fire effects from
sulphuric ash while a black mage would get psychic effects.

You could have different results for each player depending on what
day of the year they were born on. Some players might get shafted by
having to use diamond dust for healing. =]

If you throw in some global component shortages then you could tie
it into economy stuff.

--
If this signature were six words shorter it would be seven words long.