[MUD-Dev] Alternatives to PvP for sustainable fiction?

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Jun 12 22:35:23 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Kelly" <sean at ffwd.cx>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 12:26 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Alternatives to PvP for sustainable fiction?

> While many players seemed to enjoy this, it left me with a feeling
> of "why bother, the bad guy doesn't stay dead, the world doesn't
> stay saved."  And 2 days after the patch, the bulk of eager
> adventurers had solved all there was to solve.

Your basic point by this point, is that monsters respawn, quests
respawn, a dead guy doesn't stay dead. In a PkP game like you're
saying is necessary, I don't see the inherent difference *on this
axis*. That other faction/team/player who dies, doesn't stay
dead. You gain that land, the faction gains it back later, assuming
hte factions are balanced out. If not, one wins, game resets to
starting state, and goes again.

If the issue is 'why bother? it just comes back, my actions don't
make a lasting change', that's no different in either scenario. And
thus it isn't a solution to the issue you started with.

The differences that do exist is in striving against other humans,
instead of more limited human creations. This makes the game more
challenging, or brings in more to the experience in many different
ways. It doesn't bring in the: I killed bob, bob is dead. I got that
land, the change will last, at least not in game design terms
[either a reset or a design so no one faction could 'win'].

    rayzam