[MUD-Dev] Viewpoint and motion sickness was:Neverwinter Night s

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Jun 12 22:49:30 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Tester" <MTester at cambric.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 11:49 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Viewpoint and motion sickness was:Neverwinter
Nights

> I get "simulator sickness" playing 3D games too.  But I don't get
> motion sickness in airplanes, boats, roller coasters, etc.  So how
> does that work?

Motion sickness is from your vestibular input [the system that
senses your motion, orientation, gravity, etc].

Simulator sickness is your response to the disparity between your
visual input and your vestibular input.

Here's an example that has nothing to do with motion sickness :)

Take a 3 year old child, put him in a room with all white
walls. Child is X. The 2 side walls are really long, like a
corridor. The front/back/ceiling are all hinged, and not attached to
the side walls:

    |      |
    |      |
    |------|
    |  x   |
    |------|
    |      |
    |      |

   |---------|                /------------/
   |         |               /            /
   |    X    |              /       ~    /

Now, if you grab that front/ceiling corner and rotate it forward
*rapidly*, the child sees the visual input as if they were falling
backwards [falling backwards would show the front wall moving away,
but the gaze would also move upwards towards the front wall/ceiling
interface].

In actuality, the child will then fall on his face, because he
compensates for the visual input of falling backwards by attempting
to keep his balance by leaning forwards. However, since he's not
actually falling backwards, this causes him to fall on his
face. [third figure, ~ is the child on his face].

This effect still occurs in a percentage of adults. Thus, visual
input at times is more powerful than the vestibular system [and thus
the effects of those 'virtual roller coasters']. For some people,
the difference between the two makes them sick.

As someone else pointed out, you could, through experience, get used
to it. If you were motion sick, you probably couldn't. But if it's
just simulator sickness without motion sickness, you can
acclimatize/habituate to it. Just spend a little bit of time in a
session, but not long enough to get sick [or stop as soon as you
start feeling the least bit ill]. During that time, remind yourself
that you're not moving, and try to pay attention to how your body
actually feels [sitting upright, not moving]. Over time, it's likely
to go away.

    rayzam