[MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 10:05:00 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corey Crawford" <myrddin at seventh.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 5:10 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Focus on Hocus Pocus

It isn't as difficult as you may think. First, you have a go using
your imagination. Then take some existing large, varied magic system
(AD&D would do nicely), and analyze it looking for common elements,
and probably discover lots you hadn't thought of.

Finally, you end up with a very large number of possible effects,
many of which are similar, so you categorize them together. At this
point you notice that many of the grouped effects represented ranges
of applicability for a single effect (e.g. range: touch, short,
medium, long - as given above by Matt). You can then merge these
into a single effect and grade it using a function, so that people
can attempt things at arbitrarily near or far range.

Then you try to invent the weirdest set of new spells you can, and
look for anything that breaks it. Feel good when you can't. Feel
better if none of your friends can either.

Adam M