[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Madman Across the Water burra at alum.rpi.edu
Wed Jun 13 20:14:21 CEST 2001

Ian Collyer wrote:

> If my character is dead and the natural laws of the MUD offer no
> further chance of resurrection then that is effective permadeath.

Nail, hammer, bang. IMO. :> I was thinking about this discussion
today and decided that while there is no way to force a player to
not circumvent the permadeath, we can call it "permadeath" if the
system of the MUD does not permit the character to come back to
life.

Permadeath, as a term, may have varied meaning from MUD to MUD. And
why not? Death has varied meaning. In UO, it means you are a ghost,
and your corpse is left behind. On Hidden Worlds, the MUD that
caused a few of my friends to fail out of college, it meant you were
back in the Temple with 0 hp, and your corpse and stuff was
elsewhere. The term permadeath continues to be useful- on Ackadia,
if you die and come back, it's death. If you die and don't come
back, it's permadeath.  It's useful even if it's just to distinguish
between the two concepts.

Adam B