[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Thu Jun 14 09:11:31 CEST 2001

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>

> How much time do you think you should spend socializing? And
> where?  When does convenience become dehumanization? And
> fundamentally, just how much downtime are you willing to take?
> Because it's evident that some needs to be there.

You make some excellent points.  I hadn't considered how much impact
things like the architecture in focal points might have on the game
as a whole.  Call it the Feng Sui of game design :)

Personally, I side with you in favoring the 50's style town concept.
If I go to a socialization center, I don't want it to be a place
where there are hordes of players all only interested in getting
whatever it is they need and taking off.

For me, socialization comes before and after an adventure, as well
as during any obligatory downtime out in the field.

Before the adventure we put together our party and congregate
somewhere to lay out what we're going to do, how we're going to get
there, who has what etc.  Of course this takes longer thn neccessary
because it's an excuse to socialize.  Many of the party members may
have been recruited from the surrounding area, who were there for a
resully or whatever.  So it's also a chance to get to know people
you're on your way off to go risk life and limb with.

During the adventure really depends on a number of variables in the
system like how death works, how healing and recovery works, and how
the intra-party chat system works.  For the moment, I'll assume the
AC model and go with that.  If a player dies, it means finding some
way to get them back with the party, as well as being an excuse for
resupply (reagent consumption in that game is quite rapid).  So the
adventure stalls while all this is done and a lot of chatting goes
on both via the chat system and with anyone encountered wherever the
bulk of the party is waiting.  Consider this the Safe Zone talk much
like in Everquest.  At the same time, it potentially changes the
dynamic of a place that was previously a socialization area -- ther
magic shop.  The resurrected player is likely to be in a hurry so as
not to inconvenience the others and probably doesn't want to chat
with the local much...  Or perhaps he does?  Maybe to recruit some
more help for the quest or complain briefly about his perdicament.
I'd prefer not to compromise the potential of the town as an area
for socialization just to convenience a player who's in a hurry --
perhaps providing outposts or villages more aimed at being pit stops
would be a reasonable compromise, though you then run the risk of
them becoming staging areas as well.

And of course after the adventure everyone needs to go back to town
to sell loot and resupply before heading their separate ways.  Since
everyone needs to go to the same place anyway (the nearest town),
it's a good excuse to gather in the local tavern to talk for a bit
about what just happened.  Generally, quite a bit of time is spent
here.

An area that there are too few of in AC are empty outposts.
Abandoned homes (large enough to conregate and see everyone) or
other gathering places that give adventurers a convenient landmark
to gather at or return to, likely near enough to a number of quest
areas that it serves as both a Safe Zone and an impromptu town.  In
a world with trade skills, places like these are ideal areas for
players to set up shop to service adventurers out in the field.  In
UO, I remember a number of anvils located in caves and other remote
areas that served a similar purpose (before anyone had money for
houses, at any rate).  I tend to split my time between these areas
and town, depending on how social I'm feeling.

Sean