[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Jun 14 17:55:26 CEST 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Madman Across the Water wrote:
> Ian Collyer wrote:

>> If my character is dead and the natural laws of the MUD offer no
>> further chance of resurrection then that is effective permadeath.

> Nail, hammer, bang. IMO. :> I was thinking about this discussion
> today and decided that while there is no way to force a player to
> not circumvent the permadeath, we can call it "permadeath" if the
> system of the MUD does not permit the character to come back to
> life.

> Permadeath, as a term, may have varied meaning from MUD to
> MUD. And why not? Death has varied meaning. In UO, it means you
> are a ghost, and your corpse is left behind. On Hidden Worlds, the
> MUD that caused a few of my friends to fail out of college, it
> meant you were back in the Temple with 0 hp, and your corpse and
> stuff was elsewhere. The term permadeath continues to be useful-
> on Ackadia, if you die and come back, it's death. If you die and
> don't come back, it's permadeath.  It's useful even if it's just
> to distinguish between the two concepts.

You guys keep throwing around concepts like "If you die and don't
come back it's permadeath." Define 'you' first, otherwise the
statement is pretty meaningless. Permadeath revolves around the
definition of a character, and so far, I haven't heard any
persuasive argument that a character is held exclusively in a
database.

--matt