[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jun 15 06:38:35 CEST 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Ian Collyer wrote:

> To me the relationship between my mental picture of the persona I
> am playing, the MUD's database entries and my 'character' is very
> similar to the relationship between a class, an object's variables
> and the object itself in OO programming.

> The object's variables (character stats, level, skills, etc.)
> define it's current state.

So are two sets of data that are the same the same character?

> So while I may have a vivid mental image of the persona, it
> doesn't become a character until it has been instantiated into the
> MUD and given database entries that can represent it's current
> state.

> Similarly, once those database entries are deleted by a permadeath
> the character ceases to exist and becomes once again merely the
> idea of a character which resides solely in my mind.

So if the database entry is deleted and immediately recreated,
that's permadeath? And since the database entries on a player change
are fluid, there's no way to say "when the data looks like X it is Y
character" because you can have identical data sets tied to a
character.

--matt