[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Fri Jun 15 10:25:31 CEST 2001

According to Matt Mihaly:

> You guys keep throwing around concepts like "If you die and don't
> come back it's permadeath." Define 'you' first, otherwise the
> statement is pretty meaningless. Permadeath revolves around the
> definition of a character, and so far, I haven't heard any
> persuasive argument that a character is held exclusively in a
> database.

To paraphrase someone: "I know permadeath when I see it".

To me, the accurate definition of having permadeath is when, to
bring a character back to the point I want it to be, it takes as
long with that character as it would take if I choose to create a
new character and played it exclusively for a while.

(hmmm, do I make sense, here?)

The definition of the "point I want it to be" would depend
enormously on the kind of game I am playing (resurrecting social
ties, getting back a level, or anything else), but this defines if
there is permadeath or not.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!