[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Koster Koster
Sat Jun 16 10:36:53 CEST 2001

Jonathan Baron calls them microcommunities; he always wanted to make
a game where they were centered around a capital ship in space. I
would guess they fall under that theoretical magic number of 250 in
size.

> For me, socialization comes before and after an adventure, as well
> as during any obligatory downtime out in the field.

There's been some talk lately at the office about how World War 2
Online's multiperson vehicles (much like bombing missions in Air
Warrior) make use of this dynamic. You log into WW2O and then spend
up to 40 minutes getting to where you need to be. But you're
spending the time with maybe three other people, and there's an
increasing sense of danger, and a sense of isolation brought about
by the hostile environment. It's that old thing about hate is good
again--the fact that the group exists against a hostile backdrop
helps push it together very quickly.

-Raph