[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Koster Koster
Sat Jun 16 11:20:45 CEST 2001

I am making a broader statement; there's staging areas, pit stops,
and recovery phases in politics too. :) The monster-bashing just
happens to have a lot of this stuff quantified so it makes an easier
example.

In terms of traffic flow, it's of course necessary to talk about it
in terms of locations. But your example is not location-based, it's
time-based. The area changes in function as different stages of the
gameplay/activity occur.

The problem with not paying attention to traffic flow is that in
your above example, it is extremely likely that the politicians will
only talk to other politicians, unless there's some traffic flow
reason for non-politicians to come through there. And I WANT
strangers to rub up against one another, because it encourages that
more open 250-person community (hermetic cliques tend to be much
smaller), it increases the odds of welcoming novices to the
environment, and it therefore acts as a retention mechanism.

-Raph