[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Jun 18 10:29:58 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----

From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
<Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

>> From: Dave Rickey [mailto:daver at mythicentertainment.com]

>> This is why there will be no UO-style Vendors in Camelot.  They
>> greatly increase the efficiency of player to player commerce, but
>> remove most, if not all, of the social interaction associated
>> with it.  Since my primary purpose in setting up the economy was
>> to use it as a socialization tool, Vendors became *too*
>> convenient.

> For me, thats seems a very odd stance. I don't have meaningful
> interactions whilst sat in GFay trying to auction off my rapidly
> depreciating items. Just like everyone else, I sit there spamming
> my hotkey for hours if I want to shift anything, listening to a
> load of bickering level 1-10s.

> I hope you don't think thats social interaction?

Yes and no.  The spamming isn't, the process of making the sale
*is*.  Rather than have an auction channel, we'll have an auction
system (based on the same code as our "Looking For Group" system).
You'll be able to flag items in your inventory as being "For Sale",
people who are interested in buying will be able to see that in a
window, search through the available items, etc.  We'll also allow
you to advertise your services for special commisioned work in the
same system.

The actual *transaction* is a social activity, the advertising is
not.  But the UO Vendor system doesn't stop people from standing
around the smithy and the bank, spamming a sales pitch.

--Dave Rickey