[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Mon Jun 18 13:10:57 CEST 2001

From: "Sean Kelly" <sean at ffwd.cx>

> One thing that's kind of surprised me is that none of the MMORPGs
> I've played had any facility for sending messages to players who
> aren't currently online (mail).  I grant that it has definate
> impact on disk space, but arranging meetings and adventures with
> friends invariably requires tracking that person down, and this is
> much easier if you can leave a note for them to meet you somewhere
> at such-and-such a time.  I would think that this would be one
> very easy way to convenience players and help keep socialization
> more game-centric.

This has always surprised me as well.  I mean, EQ even has a postal
service, but you can't send letters through it, for gods' sake. :)

I think they had bulletin boards that actually worked in a few
remote, out of the way places, but that hardly counts.  (Oh yes,
everytime I log on, I really want to run to highpass hold just to
see if any of my friends have left any messages.  Yeah, that's gonna
happen.  Not.)