[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Jun 18 18:13:39 CEST 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:17:13 -0500 (CDT), shren <shren at fnord.io.com>
wrote:

> I'm formally coining the phrase, "Absolute Death", or ADeath, for
> situations where:

I like this idea. Let me clarify a few things I think need to be
clarified, so I can pretend I had something to do with it. (Hey, I
was a defense contractor. What do you expect?)

>   A) The character database entry is unusable (closed).

How about "The player's in-game persona is closed, rendering it
unusable within the game"?

>   B) The close came from a game feature and not a game bug.

How about "The close is an expected consequence of expected in-game
conditions"? Keeping in mind, of course, that "expected" refers to
the developer's expectations of the *engine*, not the player's
expectations of the *world*.

>   C) The close is always irreversable.

How about "The close is not reversible through in-game actions"?
Theoretically, intervention on behalf of the system administrators
should ALWAYS be able to recover characters in the event of a clause
B violation.

>   D) Should the conditions that cause this close come about, the
>   character always becomes closed.

I think this is redundant with respect to B and C as I've amended
them.

>   E) The player may, through interaction within the mud, build a
>   new character, and this character may be both technically and
>   behaviorally identical to the old one.

How about "Any future in-game personae and/or actions by the player
are unaffected by the close"? Where "unaffected" refers, of course,
to effects on the engine and not on the player.