[MUD-Dev] Interpersonal Relationships

Ronan Farrell rfarrell at parthus.com
Wed Jun 20 13:41:36 CEST 2001

Hi,

I've recently taken over the creative and administrative duties of a
mud that had gone into a bit of a stale period.  I've managed to get
the beginnings of a new immortal staff and I have player support but
there is one major issue that is hindering things.

Our mud was primarily a social mud with original some limited
pkilling allowed.  No perm-death but you'd lose eq and levels.  In
the past this meant that obnoxious characters could have their
misbehaviours punished by more powerful players.  Not a fool-proof
solution.  However after much demand pkilling was removed. This has
resulted in obnoxious players finding every bug and crack in the
code to harm, steal and basically annoy everyone else without any
fear of retribution. There is insufficient immortal resources to
monitor everything and I am not sure that that is a good solution.

Our basic problem is that obnoxious players are common and are so
powerful that if we were to re-introduce pkilling then these would
probably go on a killing spree.  Again immortal and code
restrictions could help that.

I am wondering if anyone here has had experience in dealing with a
self-sustaining group of obnoxious people on the mud.  Their
behaviour has infected the general behaviour with a degree of
anti-social behaviour that's anathema to a primarily social mud.

Ronan