[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Wed Jun 20 23:43:58 CEST 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:17:19 -0600
bruce  <bruce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> J C Lawrence wrote:
>> The usual MUD implementation is to have an NNTP server off the
>> side and then build a netnews client into the MUD.  Quite a few
>> have done this to various levels of success.  The fact that those
>> newsgroups were then (occasionally) exported out just made them
>> all the more interesting and valuable for the players as it game
>> them and out-of-game and OOB channel for communication that was
>> also implicitly game-centric.

> Hmmmmmm.

> What MUDs did this?

I don't have any names/addresses to hand (at work).  My recollection
is seeing this commonly in LP servers and some older Abers (one of
the later AC hacks) as well (I think) a MOO.  I wouldn't be
surprised if it never hit the Diku-esque side of the family tree.

> I've seen plenty with in-MUD mail systems, some with SMTP and POP3
> daemons built in, or web-interfaces.  But, I've totally missed
> seeing any system that did NNTP like that.

It was rare that they exported the groups. I only caught it once as
a friend was one of the ones carrying the feed, but I recall playing
several games whose NNTP servers I could connect to remotely via a
standard netnews client (tin in my case).

  ObThoughtTickle: One of them had a name related to the Isle of
  Man.  IIRC.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows