[MUD-Dev] Identity Theft and MUDding

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Jun 21 03:40:57 CEST 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Anthony R. Haslage wrote:

> E. How to Report Hacking

> Call your local FBI office if you are in the U.S.A.  Otherwise,
> contact a local law enforcement office on a non-emergency line for
> the number or simply open a phonebook and look.

After you call the FBI to report something with no recognized
economic value (the code for your free MUD), be sure to get lots of
vaseline ready and limber up those hands so that you have something
to do while you wait for the FBI to do something. They won't, at
least in my experience.

The FBI just seized the equipment/arrested someone who had illicitly
obtained a copy of Achaea and I can tell you that the only reason
that happened is because we can prove that Achaea's code is worth a
lot of money and thus the hacker is being treated as an economic
terrorist. I was flat-out told that if nothing of economic value was
taken, they would not pursue the case.

--matt