[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Fri Jun 22 13:02:45 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Koster, Raph
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 11:10 AM
To: 'mud-dev at kanga.nu'
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Against my better judgement I'm going to respond to a semi-technical
post.  :)

>> I'm shocked. NONE of them have this? Why not? It's one of the
>> primary wish-list features for my own system. Has been for years.

> The logic against it goes like this:

> * Yeesh! HOW much storage per player again? That's (takes out
> * calculator) WAAAY too much money!

We were planning in-game email in TGT as part of our Urchin
Messenger system, but I can't find any documentation on it <sigh>.
But wouldn't it be easy enough to put a time limit on in-game
message retention, allowing players to forward or redirect stuff to
their real world email addresses for keepers, if they chose.  That
would keep the storage space churning and not clogging.

> * Won't they use email anyway? We can't possibly make a nice
> * enough email system to match Outlook!

Sure, but we can make one that fits in the game world and preserves
the fourth wall.

> * Yikes, think of the complications--email to account or to user?

Account, just like real email, no?  Outlook doesn't try to check who
is using the account.  It leaves that up to the users themselves.

Lee