[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Ian Collyer ian.collyer at i12.com
Sat Jun 23 02:32:18 CEST 2001

Raph Koster wrote:
> [...]

Well, not much storage really for me.  Simply have a pointer for a
character's message file indicating the last message downloaded via
POP3 and a similar pointer for each message board that the character
has active.  When the player's email client connects to the
pseudo-POP3 server the email messages are generated on-the-fly.  A
few bytes at most per character.

>   * Won't they use email anyway? We can't possibly make a nice
>   * enough email system to match Outlook!

Why try to match Outlook, let your players _use_ Outlook, or any
other POP3 compliant email client they like.

>   * Yikes, think of the complications--email to account or to user?

Email to character, it's still in-character messaging, just using an
out-of-game delivery mechanism.