[MUD-Dev] UDP vs TCP/IP

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jun 24 02:37:44 CEST 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 00:17:00 -0700
Andrew Kirmse <akirmse at pacbell.net> wrote:

> - If I read it right, JC Lawrence implied that it's possible to
> write your own protocol directly on IP.  However, all current
> versions of Windows lack support for these so-called "raw
> sockets".

I can't speak with authority on the Windows end of affairs, I've
never developed under or for it.  I understand that for Windows
versions prior to XP it requires nothing more than the addition of
an extra DLL to gain the ability to write raw TCP frames.  I don't
have any specifics (I mostly tend to ignore the Windows software
world).

> Windows XP and Unix have them.

Quite.

J C Lawrence                                             claw at kanga.nu