[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

Taylor taylor at taylor.org
Sun Jun 24 13:42:35 CEST 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

> The basic problem with Advogato's system is that it is inherently
> inflationary and yet the currency (status levels) are fixed and
> finite.  Further, while it is resistant to clique elevation, it
> isn't resistant to the wide spread wish and willingness to rate
> the famous as famous and thus attempt to gain reflected glory.

Actually, while I think that a player run reputation system is
something that is useful and would help out in the gameplay of a
massively multiplayer game, what I would really like, and what would
be a lot easier to engineer is a personal reputation system. Give me
some way to rate the other players and attach some kind of small
note about the player and your interactions with them. One runs
accross so many people in these games that it's hard to keep track
of them. I'd love to have a little note pop up when I run into
someone deep in a dungeon that six months ago I felt that they were
a real jerk (enough to rate them) and that I attached a note saying
they led a train of monsters to try to kill and loot me. Now I know
how to deal with them, and I can trust the source for this opinion
(because it was me!).

To me this sounds like an obvious starting point and I bet it's
implemented in a mud that I don't know about.

--
Taylor                                 log: http://www.captaincursor.com/
taylor at taylor.org

grumpy futurist