[MUD-Dev] Interpersonal Relationships

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Jun 24 17:04:22 CEST 2001

On Sat 23 Jun, quzah wrote:
> From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at 2wire.com>

>> Its the same deal: You've just formally placed and acknowledged a
>> class of players in opposition to you as admins, and stated that
>> they 'win" if they can beat you.

This is the danger with active policing a mud. But if you do not do
it either nobody does, or another group of players sets themselves
up as opponent. They have the first situation now. The second situ-
ation may, or may not, be desirable for the staff.  It certainly is
going to put a lot of animosity into the game.

> It sounds like this is where they're at currently anyway. They're
> afraid to implement PK becuase the "bad people" will slaughter
> everyone on the mud. The "bad people" are being bad anyway and
> they want some form of correction.

> The old model doesn't work because the "bad people" are at the top
> of the food chain.

> What they really want is the "weaker people" to do all the work
> for them. (IE: Knock the bad people down a few notches so the mud
> is more friendly / balanced / fun again.)

The other problem is that the weaker people may not be interested in
being the mud police in the first place, but then that is the heart
of the Tailor's Dilemma, and the reason why I feel that it is the
responsibility of the staff, and not of the players, to police a
game.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,