[MUD-Dev] Speech to Text, etc. (was: On socialization and convenience )

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Mon Jun 25 18:22:51 CEST 2001

Madrona Tree writes:

> Text-to-speech would be fabulous, but I think speech-to-text would
> be terrible.  Read depositions sometimes - the amount of ums and
> uhs and hmms will amaze you.  I think of the time my father said,
> during a deposition, when someone was pushing records cart down
> the hallway, "Holy S---!  Are we having an earthquake?!"  and the
> court reporter kept on typing.

> Come to think of it, though.. maybe seeing what we are actually
> sounding like would be *good* for us.  :P The spoken word so
> easily comes and goes, but the written usually makes a much bigger
> impression.  What a tool for grade-schoolers...!

> But really - good in theory, but I don't think it would work too
> well for our application - especially when many of these muds are
> in pseudo-medieval scenarios... can you imagine yourself having to
> actually *say* thee and thou, without an um in between?  :)

For those players interested in precise voice acting, I'm sure a
text-based interface would remain available.  Such acting will not
be very well-timed, however, as those who choose to simply continue
to talk will get the best realtime interactions with other
characters.  The ideal premise behind speech-to-text is that it free
the hands such that they can control the character's actions (apart
from conversation).  Simultaneous speech and action is something
that is an annoying stumbling block for me, and I'm sure it's the
same for many others.

An alternative to text-based input might be the ability to hold down
a key while dictating the voice acting.  The 'ummers' can just keep
playing with the key as they come up with the words they want to
use.  While still interfering with free use of the player's hands on
the available input devices, it minimizes the interference and
permits the player to rapidly transition back to free use of hands.
Maybe we need a foot pedal :)

JB