[MUD-Dev] Trust systems and Player-Run Reputation

Phillip Lenhardt philen at monkey.org
Mon Jun 25 23:27:09 CEST 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:37:51PM -0600, Travis Nixon wrote:

> So here's my new (to me) proposal: I want to believe the ratings
> of people who rate others in the same way I do.

This sounds a lot like the heuristics employed by user agent systems
(FireFly comes to mind as an example).

Besides the new user problem you mentioned, I think this might also
be vulnerable to the famous persons problem much like Advogato. If a
large portion of the ratings everyone makes are tied to famous
people that everyone rates, you will end up matching closely with
too many people.