[MUD-Dev] Definition of a character II, permadeath and "who's running this show anyway?"

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Jun 26 19:41:22 CEST 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Ian Collyer wrote:

> Yes, and after much reflection I now agree completely with Matt, a
> character can permadie, but only with the consent of the player.
> My earlier contention of this was biased as I tend to abide by the
> MUD designer's concept of death, but agree now that I could play a
> perfectly valid character in a MUD while refusing to accept the
> MUD's view on death.

I object to this. How can you be sure you completely agree with me?
Do you even know who I am? Are you sure I'm not being used by
multiple entities? Since we're all unable to express what we
actually mean (due to the impreciseness of language) how can you
really be sure you understand what I'm saying? And what does it mean
to be Matt anyway? Can it be said that Matt is a separate entity?
Are we all not part of creation and thus one entity anyway? I have
to say, you are really using some imprecise language, and I just
object to that.

Just kidding. Bet I had some of you going though. ;)

> Which leads me on neatly to my final question...

>   "who's running this show anyway?"

> Exactly how much control over a MUD does the designer have?

> If they are incapable of enforcing something so fundamental as the
> death of a character, what implications does that have for the way
> the MUD is run?

Well, given these facts, consider that some people, at least, will
refuse to play a MUD if they are unable to play with the name of
their character. If I'm used to playing Lancelot, and MUD X doesn't
let me call my avatar Lancelot, then maybe I just won't play MUD X,
cause I wouldn't feel good playing Lancelot-called-Bob.

--matt