[MUD-Dev] When is the game a game?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Jun 26 20:12:14 CEST 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> I've been working a lot on (and talking a lot about) my game
> system lately. Occasionally I'll describe how it handles things
> here, and use that as an example.

> The catch, of course, is that the game *system* is not actually
> part of any coherent *game*. It does not run anywhere. It is not
> in distribution. It is not even playable, as it currently
> stands. However, the game systems are defined and in most cases
> even implemented in test drivers. Those few systems that are not
> implemented are "proven" by other test drivers -- once I know that
> "an object" is properly handled in every way, I don't have to test
> EVERY object. If a given object is supposed to be something you
> can buy, sell, use, and drop... well, once we know that buy, sell,
> and drop work, we only need to test "use" for other
> objects. Similar circumstances exist for other "partial" systems.

> Which leads to the question, when is the game actually a game?
> Certainly, when the game is completed and placed online for people
> to play and people actually do *play* it, it's a game. But what
> about before then?

Hmm, well, I think a game can be both the ideal or the specific. For
instance, I'm not playing chess right now, but I'd definitely refer
to chess as a game. Even if no one in the world were playing it, I'd
think of chess as a game.

Webster's defines game as:

  1. Any contest undertaken for recreation or prizes, played
  according to rules, and depending on strength, skill, or luck to
  win. (Interesting that most MUDs game-like aspects only barely
  qualify under this, as it is primarily just time that matters.)

  2. Organized athletic contests.  (Not applicable for MUDs yet.)

  3. Amusement: diversion; play.  (Hopefully applicable to most
  MUDs!)

  4. Fun, sport.

  5. A strategy; scheme; plan.  (This would seem to fit your
  developed or even planned-out systems.)

  6. A proceeding conducted like a game: the game of diplomacy (bit
  of a circular definition.)

  7. A set of equipment used in playing certain games, such as
  backgammon or darts. (So maybe a MUD with nobody logged in and no
  players?)

  8. Success in a match: The game is ours.

  9. The number of points required to win: Game is 100 points.

  10. A definite portion of a match terminated by a victory of draw,
  as a game in bridge or tennis.

  11. Manner or art of playing: He plays a poor game.  (The rest of
  the definitions talk about game as in hunting for game.)

Far be it from me to let a dictionary define a concept in a few
words, but the word 'game' as we're using it does seem to be pretty
broad. Sounds to me like even the conceptualization can be termed
'game'.

--matt