[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Wed Jun 27 19:25:10 CEST 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:46:44 +0200
Valerio Santinelli <tanis at mediacom.it> wrote:

> [...]

Yup.  It carries with a raft of advantages and a small armada of new
customer support headaches.

> It would be much more than a reputation system. It could even be
> usefull to keep track of a player's history and build a sort of
> biography.

Quite.  For me part of the base idea would be to have the game
itself log entries into the log as the player is at interesting
locations, or he does interesting things or they happen near him.
Access to the log would then be both via the character directly as
well as from a more central read-the-game interface.

>> Its gets even better when trying to imagine the hues of purple
>> Raph's referenced managers would go when they read the storage
>> requirements on the proposal.

> I agree with you that the requirements for a system like this are
> quite high. There would really be a need of a large amount of disk
> space and computation of the historical data could really get
> heavy with lots of players online.  But it's surely a neat
> idea.. with some hardware it could really works :)

Disk is a potential problem as it is effectively free storage.
Players are going to want to use it for system backups:

  $ tar zc / | uuencode | game_client -login my_character -log_entry

The computational load is actually fairly trivial.  At the SQL end
its 3 - 4 joins per entry, and you mostly need to do that during
rendering, not during entry.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows