[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

Thu Jun 28 09:13:50 CEST 2001

shren wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Geoffrey A. MacDougall wrote:

>> Is there a 'layman's terms' explanation available somewhere?  Or
>> is someone up to the challenge of translating the document?

> Maybe I'll give it a serious read and try to do that, here, later.

Actually, it is very simple.  The description is obfuscated because
they want to apply one of the standard network flow algorithms to it
(to be found in any textbook), thus they transform the problem by
introducing the "supersink", introducing new nodes, turning nodes
into edges and edges into nodes, and what not...

The basic concept is that the "general" (seed) is capable of handing
out (say) 60 certificates. The people he trusts become "commanders"
who are capable of handing out at most 20 certificates. The people
"commanders" trust become "soldiers" (unless they are either
"commander" or "general" already) who are capable of handing out an
even smaller amount of certificates, and so on.

Now, give the "general" 60 certificates and let him hand
certificates to those which he trust, let them hand their
certificates to the ones they trust etc.

The computer program then finds how to distribute the certificates
in a way that let as many people as possible get a certificate.
This is done under the constraints that everybody that hands out a
certificate also keep one, and nobody hands out more certificates
than they are allowed to mediate.

(After memory, most likely an inaccurate description)

--
Ola  -  http://www.notam.uio.no/~olagr/