[MUD-Dev] Value in the Economy of the MOG

Derek Licciardi kressilac at home.com
Sat Jun 30 16:13:41 CEST 2001

Dave Rickey:

> The overall gap is almost 1000 to 1, 3 orders of magnitude, but 2
> of those are in the first 20 levels.  The difference between a
> level 21 and a level 50 mob is almost exactly 10 to 1, in fact.
> This basicly means that once you reach the 20+ range, all players
> are in the same economic ball park.  *However*, to maintain this
> relationship, we had to institute a "Gray = No Loot" rule, if an
> NPC is sufficiently below your level, you recieve neither loot nor
> XP from killing it (if you have to kill a gray for a step in a
> quest, a different system ensures that you get any "token"
> needed).  Otherwise people hunting *way* below their level could
> generate any arbirarily large amount of cash at no risk.

One question; How do you plan on stopping the players from
determining the maximum level they can be, before an easy mob will
stop giving them coin and then using one or two higher characters to
reduce the risk associated with farming the money out of them?  I am
not sure you want to even stop that, but I suspect all that will
result in restricting the gold dropping from mobs will be that
players will find indirect ways to drink from the no-risk forbidden
fountain of gold.

One of the beliefs that I have been toying with is that economic
systems in today's muds are decidely pro player.  I am almost of the
belief that in order to have a stable economy on a mud, you are
going to have to institute the economic things that most people do
not like.(taxes, insurance, rent, repairing goods...)  Even with all
of the above, it may not be possible to get a good economy without
permanent character death, inheritance rules and taxes, and other
necessary asset control measures.  As much as we hate these things
in real life, I am beginning to see why they are necessary for a
stable and healthy economy.  The bigger question might be how do you
put these into the game in such a way that players don't call it a
dramatic gameplay killer and call your game not fun.

Derek