[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

msew msew at ev1.net
Thu Mar 1 00:36:41 CET 2001

At 09:13 02/27/2001 -0700, Travis Nixon wrote:
>Chris Lloyd wrote:

>> Ah, so the your Grandfather's axe is exactly the same as any axe
>> you can find lying around? If you kept it in the first place I'd
>> expect it to have some unique property or such that you'd want to
>> keep, rather than get another, slightly worse axe.

> Gee, GoPer to the bone, aren't you?  :)

> It does have a unique property.  It belonged to his grandfather, and
> has a history behind it.  Does it really need anything beyond that?

stats *ducks*

if the attributes of belonged to timmy's grandfather is just that and
is not involved in the game beyond that (ie axe name is the same as
every other axe except you know it is really timmy's grandfathers's
axe) then, from achiever's view: axe is not worth it and not better
than the normal axe you can buy for less time used up.

> If I needed any proof that not everybody thinks the same way I do
> about games, you just gave it to me in full force. :)

:-)  *cackle*

So I went and did some research (research is always good)
in game EQ chatting:

   When players like the background info and extra information about
   the quests they like it because they feel they are PART of the
   story of that quest.  Ie they are a main character in the plot line
   of that quest.  They get to be the hero that brings timmy's axe
   back to him!

I also did some polls on one of the main websites the higher lvl
characters goto for the rathe server.  Not that big of sample size but
it the kind of people (based on empirical data of reading their posts
and playing with them are pretty diverse from A E K and S :-) )

  do you care about the story behind a quest?  are the characters and
  their motivations and their history and the history of how they
  received an item interest/matter to you whilst doing a quest?

  Results (total votes = 66):

    yes the story details of the quest matter to me when doing a quest
    28 / 42.4%

    no the story details are pointless just tell me what i need to
    complete the quest 15 / 22.7%

    the story details don't really matter when doing the quest but I
    rather like reading them 23 / 34.8%

  do you care about the background story of EQ?

  do you want the background story about the mobs, the areas, the
  land, the famous items, the history of Norrath posted somewhere?

  Results (total votes = 70):

    yes I am DYING to read all about the background story 17 / 24.3%

    no the background story is pointless 12 / 17.1%

    I would read it but I doubt it would affect my playstyle 41 /
    58.6%

I don't pretend this is the end all be all decision maker but more
data to put into the pot :-)

msew